D202 Home >
Community > Community Awards
District 202 bestows several prestigious awards annually to staff and community members, through the Board of Education or a district-affiliated organization.
AWARDS PRESENTED BY:
- Award of Excellence - honors teachers and non-administrative staff who have in one way or another touched the lives of their students and peers.
The Award of Excellence is given in early spring at a special community ceremony.
- Ira Jones Award - honors community member annually for their community service. The Ira Jones Award, created in 1986, is named for Richard Ira Jones, the proprietor of Jones Hardware, which was located in downtown Plainfield for many years.
Mr. Jones was a member of the District 202 Board of Education from 1936-1972, including the last 15 years as president. He also served as a member of several other public boards, including the fire district and various community service organizations.
The Ira Jones Award is given at the Awards of Excellence ceremony.
- Elizabeth "Bess" Eichelberger Distinguished Service Award - honors community members for their spirit of community service. The Elizabeth “Bess” Eichelberger award was created in 2009. She was a Plainfield-area icon renowned for her passion for volunteerism.
Eichelberger served nearly 26 years on the Board of Education, then continued as one of two Board Ambassadors until her death.
The Eichelberger Distinguished Service Award is given at the Awards of Excellence ceremony.
PLEASE CONTACT DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS TOM HERNANDEZ ABOUT ANY OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION AWARDS: (815) 577-4008 OR firstname.lastname@example.org
- the committee for the Coordination of Administration and Parents Groups for Educational Efficiency- coordinates the work of all district parent groups and community liaisons, and works with district administration to gather and disseminate district information.
- The CAPE Awards - recognize outstanding parents, community members, teachers and staff members for their dedication to students, their schools and community.
CAPE awards are given by both the CAPE organization, and by each school’s parent organization.
The CAPE awards are given in early spring at a community ceremony.
VISIT CAPE's WEB SITE FOR NOMINATION INFORMATION
- The Foundation for Excellence is a group of private citizens committed to developing and supporting enrichment programs and services that make a significant contribution to the quality of education.
- The Walter G. and Juanita F. Niehus Award - The Niehus Award was established in 1986 to honor the legacies of former District 202 Superintendent of Schools Walter Niehus and his wife, respected former teacher Juanita Niehus.
The Niehus Award is given annually to either certified or non-certified personnel or support staff members, nominated by their peers, who show extraordinary commitment to district students, parents and employees.
A separate Niehus Award is also given to an outstanding student at Plainfield High School – Central Campus.
The Plainfield Foundation for Excellence administers the Niehus Award on behalf of the Niehus family.
The Niehus Award is given in late spring or early summer at a Board of Education meeting.
- The Alumni Hall of Fame - the Foundation for Excellence created the Alumni Hall of Fame in 2011.
The award honors District 202 graduates who graduated at least 20 years before nomination, who have distinguished themselves beyond their high school years through their significant accomplishments or service.
The Alumni Hall of Fame inductees are recognized at the annual Foundation for Excellence dinner and auction, held in early spring.
VISIT THE FOUNDATION's WEB SITE FOR NOMINATION INFORMATION
||Community Coffee With The Superintendent|
||Board Committee Meetings|
||Board of Education Meetings|
||End Semester One|
||School Improvement Day - 1/2 Day of Student attendance - No BMLC or Kindergarten attendance|
||Winter Break Begins|