Student participation in school-sponsored extracurricular athletic activities is contingent upon the following:
- The student must meet the academic criteria set forth in Board policy 6:190, Extracurricular and Co-Curricular Activities.
- A parent/guardian of the student must provide written permission for the student’s participation, giving the District full waiver of responsibility of the risks involved.
- The student must present a current certificate of physical fitness issued by a licensed physician, an advanced practice nurse, or a physician assistant The Pre-Participation Physical Examination Form, offered by the Illinois High School Association and the Illinois Elementary School Association, is the preferred certificate of physical fitness. The student must show proof of accident insurance coverage either by a policy purchased through the District-approved insurance plan or a parent(s)/guardian(s) written statement that the student is covered under a family insurance plan.
- The student must agree to follow all conduct rules and the coaches’ instructions.
- The student and his or her parent(s)/guardian(s) must; (a) comply with the eligibility rules of, and complete any forms required by, any sponsoring association (such as, the Illinois Elementary School Association, the Illinois High School Association, or the Southern Illinois Junior High School Athletic Association), and (b) complete all forms required by the District including, without limitation, signing an acknowledgment or receiving information about the Board’s concussion policy 7:305, Student Athlete Concussions and Head Injuries. by IHSA.
The Superintendent or designee (1) is authorized to impose additional requirements for a student to participate in extracurricular athletics, provided the requirement(s) comply with Board policy 7:10, Equal Educational Opportunities, and (2) shall maintain the necessary records to ensure student compliance with this policy.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-20.30, 5/10-20.54, 5/22-80 and 25/2.
23 Ill.Admin.Code §1.530(b).
CROSS REF.: 4:100 (Insurance Management), 4:170 (Safety), 6:190 (Extracurricular and Co-Curricular Activities), 7:10 (Equal Educational Opportunities), 7:240 (Conduct Code for Participants in Extracurricular Activities, 7:305 (Student Concussions and Head Injuries), 7:340 (Student Records)
ADOPTED: November 22, 2004
UPDATED: June 22, 2009
February 22, 2010
January 24, 2011
May 26, 2015
January 25, 2016