At each regular and special open meeting, members of the public and District employees may comment on or ask questions of the Board, subject to reasonable constraints.
The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
- Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President. At each regular meeting, twenty (20) minutes is set aside on the agenda to hear comments or questions from those citizens present about items on the agenda of either the previous meeting or the current meeting.
- Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, such comments shall be limited to 2 minutes. In unusual circumstances, and when the person has given advance notice of the need to speak for a longer period of time, such person may be allowed to speak for more than 2 minutes.
- Observe the Board President’s decision to shorten public comment to conserve time and give the maximum number of individuals an opportunity to speak.
- Observe the Board President’s decision to determine procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise covered in Board policy.
- Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others and otherwise abide by Board policy, 8:30, Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board of Education in the next regular Board packet.
LEGAL REF.: 5 ILCS 120/2.06.
105 ILCS 5/10-6 and 5/10-16.
CROSS REF.: 2:220 (Board of Education Meeting Procedure), 8:10 (Connection with the Community), 8:30 (Visitors to and Conduct on School Property)
ADOPTED: November 22, 2004
REVISED: February 28, 2011