District 202 implemented the Common Core State Standards for mathematic in fall 2013 and the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts in fall 2014.
District 202 has used a multi-year process to create its own curriculum, aligned to local, state and national learning standards. Each core area curriculum undergoes a thorough cycle of review, testing and adjustment led by teachers, and incorporating community input.
At the same time, district administration, teachers and staff are rworking to increase academic achievement through a long list of systemic improvements including:
- Implemented Full Day Kindergarten with one class for each school.
- Aligned our science curriculum to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Adopted and implemented the Math Envision 2.0 resource.
- Completed final validation of ELA and Math curriculum.
- Adjusted EL programming to best support students language needs.
- Implemented SuccessMaker Math Intervention in Title 1 schools.
- Fully implemented a new Middle School schedule with all core subject areas offered daily
- Implemented high school Spanish I at the middle school level for 7th grade (2016-17) and 7th and 8th (2017-18)
- Developed Literacy and Math Intervention classes to support struggling students
- Fully implemented CCSS Math curriculum with Ready Math, the student and teacher online and consumable resource
- Enhanced the Encore Program with additional offerings including STEM based classes, Computers, World Language, Interventions, Study Skills and Literacy classes
- Fully implemented the Next Generation Science Standards in the 6-8 Science classrooms including inquiry based curriculum and assessments
- Aggressively promoted National Board Certification program for master teachers and provided support for participating teachers through a grant-based program.
- Implemented program to allow students to receive college credit for dual credit courses in:
- English 101 Rhetoric
- English 102 Rhetoric
- General Psychology 101
- Personal Finance 100
- Culinary Arts 3
- History of Civilization 1 & 2
- Exploration of American Music
- Intermediate Algebra
- Mathematics for General Education