District 202 uses a multi-year process to create its own curriculum, aligned to local, state and national learning standards. Each core area curriculum undergoes a thorough cycle of review, testing and adjustment led by teachers, and incorporating community input.
At the same time, district administration, teachers and staff are working to increase academic achievement through a long list of systemic improvements including:
- Implemented Full Day Kindergarten with one class for each school.
- Aligned our science curriculum to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Adopted and implemented the Math Envision 2.0 resource.
- Implemented reading intervention coaching and training for Reading Recovery and Take Flight.
- Fully implemented a new Middle School schedule with all core subject areas offered daily
- Implemented high school Spanish I at the middle school level for 7th and 8th grade
- Developed Literacy and Math Intervention classes to support struggling students
- Fully implemented CCSS Math curriculum with Ready Math, the student and teacher online and consumable resource
- Enhanced the Encore Program with the adoption of additional modules in the STEM classroom, including Forensics and Virtual Architecture
- Completed final validation of the Science curriculum and assessments
- Aligned the Social Studies curriculum to the C3 Framework and the Illinois Learning Standards and introduced the Discipline Inquiry Model to all middle school teachers
- Redesigned the Math assessments to increase rigor and more appropriately reflect the common core standards
- Introduced the iReady diagnostic assessment to all students K-8 to identify areas of student growth and areas for focused improvement
- Professional development for Social Studies teachers throughout the school year
- Implemented program to allow students to receive college credit for dual credit courses in:
- English 101 Rhetoric
- English 102 Rhetoric
- General Psychology 101
- Personal Finance 100
- Culinary Arts 3
- History of Civilization 1 & 2
- Exploration of American Music
- Intermediate Algebra
- Mathematics for General Education