Linguistic and Diversity Services
Illinois state law requires school districts provide Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE) and/or Transitional Program of Instruction (TPI) services for all students in kindergarten through grade twelve who are identified as having limited English proficiency.
The TBE services are for non-native English speaking students who are mastering written or spoken English. The program provides instruction in the student’s native language with transition into English.
TPI services are for non-native English speaking students who are mastering written or spoken English. The program provides support to help students succeed in academic subjects and learn English.
Our goals are to ensure that any student learning English will:
- Attain English proficiency
- Develop high levels of academic competence in English
- Meet the same challenging State academic content and academic achievement standards
Linguistic and Diversity Service Resources
- Illinois School Code Part 228, Article 14C
- NCLB Title III
- Illinois English Language Proficiency Standards
- ACCESS for ELLs
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Office of English Language Acquisition
- National Association for Bilingual Education
- Center of Research on Education, Diversity, and Excellence
- Illinois Association of Multilingual Multicultural Education
- Illinois Resource Center (IRC)
- Illinois TESOL-BE
- WIDA Consortium
- "Colorín Colorado"