SEPAC: Special Education Parent Advisory Committee
The District 202 SEPAC is a district-wide PreK- 12+ organization of parents, staff, administrators, and community members. The committee will be composed of parents of children across the district. The goal is that the committee will represent all district “houses”, special education programs, and school levels.
Mission: The mission of the D202 SEPAC is to facilitate partnership and collaboration between the district, families, and the community. The SEPAC advises the school district regarding education and safety of students with disabilities, assists parents in advocating for children, and provides a network for parents to share information and improve educational opportunities.
Vision: The vision of SEPAC is that "all students can achieve." Therefore, the organization is committed to identifying and meeting the diverse needs of each student. SEPAC members strive to demonstrate strength and compassion through their collaborative work and continuing education with families, students, community, and colleagues in order to promote each student's success.
Goals: SEPAC will promote understanding of and respect for the inclusion of children with disabilities, and improve outcomes for them in school and in the larger community. The District 202 SEPAC will work to:
- Create a network for families of children with disabilities and provide a forum to share information;
- Advise the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services on operations and development of special education programs, training needs for educators, students and families, and related policy;
- Provide informational forums and training to families, educators, students, and other related professionals.
- Increase opportunities for parent and staff training/development
- Participate in the future vision and planning for all students
- Enhance student development through school and community-based partnerships
- Promote communications and programs within the community that encourage increased understanding, acceptance, and inclusion for all within the school and larger community
- Raise awareness and acceptance of the diverse needs of our community through education
SEPAC Intends to:
- Increase transparency in special education services ensuring consistency of practice, procedures, and philosophy
- Enhance timely and relevant two-way communication among all District 202 stakeholders
- Promote awareness of school programs, recognize accomplishments, and identify future needs
- Support and provide opportunities for parent and staff education
- Foster collaboration as a means to develop trust and understanding between parents and educators
- Attend quarterly SEPAC meetings
- Be open minded and respectful with committee members
- Develop committees to focus efforts on action items and communication
- Promote the work and mission of SEPAC throughout the community
- Uphold the mission and goals of SEPAC
- Serve through feedback, input, and recommendations