6:230 Library Media Program
The Superintendent or designee shall manage the District’s library media program to comply with (1) State law and Ill. State Board of Education (ISBE) rule and (2) the following standards:
1. The program includes an organized collection of resources available to students and staff to supplement classroom instruction, foster reading for pleasure, enhance information literacy, and support research, as appropriate to students of all abilities in the grade levels served.
2. Financial resources for the program’s resources and supplies are allocated to meet students’ needs.
3. Students in all grades served have equitable access to library media resources.
4. The advice of an individual who is qualified according to ISBE rule is sought regarding the overall direction of the program, including the selection and organization of materials, provision of instruction in information and technology literacy, and structuring the work of library paraprofessionals.
5. Staff members are invited to recommend additions to the collection.
6. Students may freely select resource center materials as well as receive guided selection of materials appropriate to specific, planned learning experiences.
7. The program is guided by the principles of the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and its interpretation for school libraries.
Parents/guardians, employees, and community members who believe that library media program resources violate rights guaranteed by any law or Board policy may file a complaint using Board policy 2:260, Uniform Grievance Procedure.
The Superintendent or designee shall establish criteria consistent with this policy for the review of objections. Parents/guardians, employees, and community members with suggestions or complaints about library media program resources may complete a Library Media Resource Objection Form. The Superintendent or designee shall inform the parent/guardian, employee, or community member, as applicable, of the District’s decision.
LEGAL REF.: 23 Ill.Admin.Code §1.420(o).
CROSS REF.: 6:60 (Curriculum Content), 6:170 (Title I Programs), 6:210 (Instructional Materials Selection and Adoption)
ADOPTED: November 22, 2004
UPDATED: June 22, 2009 (title change only)
August 30, 2023