7:260 Exemption from Physical Education
In order to be excused from participation in physical education, a student must present an appropriate excuse from his or her parent/guardian or from a person licensed under the Medical Practice Act. The excuse may be based on medical and religious prohibitions. An excuse because of medical reasons must include a signed statement from a person licensed under the Medical Practice Act that corroborates the medical reason for the request. An excuse based on religious reasons must include a signed statement from a member of the clergy that corroborates the religious reason for the request.
Upon written notice from a student’s parent/guardian, a student will be excused from engaging in the physical activity components of physical education during a period of religious fasting.
Special activities in physical education will be provided for a student who’s physical or emotional condition, as determined by a person licensed under the Medical Practice Act, prevents his or her participation in the physical education courses.
State law prohibits the Board from honoring parental excuses based upon a student’s participation in athletic training, activities, or competitions conducted outside the auspices of the School District. (Elementary school districts only)
A student who is eligible for special education may be excused from physical education courses in either of the following situations:
1. He or she (a) is in grades 3/12, (b) his or her IEP requires that special education support and services be provided during physical education time, and (c) the parent/guardian agrees or the IEP team makes the determination; or
2. He or she (a) has an IEP, (b) is participating in an adaptive athletic program outside of the school setting, and (c) the parent/guardian documents the student’s participation as required by the Superintendent or designee.
A student requiring adapted physical education must receive that service in accordance with his or her Individualized Educational Program/Plan (IEP).
A student in grades 9-12, unless otherwise stated, may submit a written request to the Building Principal to be excused from physical education for the reasons stated in 6:310 High School Credit for Non-District Experiences; Course Substitutions; Re-Entering Students.
The Superintendent or designee shall maintain records showing that the criteria set forth in this policy were applied to the student’s individual circumstances, as appropriate.
Students who have been excused from physical activity education shall return to the course as soon as practical. The following considerations will be used to determine when a student shall return to a physical education course:
1. The time of year when the student’s participation ceases;
2. The student’s class schedule; and
3. The student’s future or planned additional participation in activities qualifying for substitutions for physical education as outlined in policy 6:310, High School Credit for Non-District Experiences; Course Substitutions; Re-Entering Students.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/27-6.
225 ILCS 60/, Medical Practice Act.
23 Ill. Admin. Code § 1.420(p) and §1.425(d), (e), (f
CROSS REF.: 6:60 (Curriculum Content), 6:310 (High School Credit for Non-District Experiences; Course Substitutions; Re-Entering Students)
ADOPTED: November 22, 2004
REVISED: December 14, 2015
May 8, 2017
May 9, 2022