6:185 Remote Educational Program
Remote Educational Program
The Superintendent or designee may develop, maintain, and supervise a remote educational program consistent with 105 ILCS 5/10-29. The remote educational program shall provide an opportunity for qualifying students to participate in an educational program delivered by the District in a location outside of a school.
The remote educational program shall:
1. Align its curriculum with the Ill. Learning Standards and Board policies 6:10, Educational Philosophy and Objectives and 6:15, School Accountability.
2. Offer instruction and educational experiences consistent with those given to students at the same grade level in the District through compliance with Board policies 6:30, Organization of Instruction and 6:300, Graduation Requirements.
3. Provide instructors that meet the teacher qualifications in Board policy 5:190, Teacher Qualifications. Instructors are responsible for the following elements of the program:
a. Planning instruction,
b. Diagnosing learning needs,
c. Prescribing content delivery through class activities,
d. Assessing learning,
e. Reporting outcomes to administrators and parents/guardians, and
f. Evaluating the effects of instruction.
4. Provide a remote educational program anytime during the period of time from and including the opening date to the closing date of the District’s regular school term. It may operate on any calendar day, notwithstanding whether it is a student attendance day or institute day on the District’s calendar or any other provision of law restricting instruction on that day. The District’s regular school term is established by Board policies 2:20, Powers and Duties of the School Board; Indemnification, and 6:20, School Year Calendar and Day. The remote educational program may be offered outside of the regular school term as part of any authorized summer school program.
5. Establish a system to determine student participation in instruction in alignment with Board policy 6:20, School Year Calendar and Day.
6. Limit participation to students who demonstrate individual educational need(s) based on district criteria. Approval of students in the program will be on a space-available basis.
7. Authorize the Superintendent or designee to approve students for participation in the program when the student shows evidence of:
a. Enrollment in the District pursuant to Board policies 7:60, Residence and 7:30, Student Assignment and Intra-District Transfer.
b. Prior approval from their individualized educational program (IEP) team, if applicable.
c. How the remote educational program best serves the student’s individual learning needs.
8. Include a process for developing and approving a written remote educational plan for each student participating in the program.
9. Require students to complete their participation in the program within 12 months unless the student’s participation is extended by the District.
10. Require students to participate in all assessments administered by the District pursuant to State and federal law and Board policy 6:340, Student Testing and Assessment Program.
11. Align with the requirements of Board policy 7:340, Student Records.
12. Comply with other State and federal laws and align with all applicable Board policies. This includes the Superintendent submitting a copy of this policy to the Ill. State Board of Education along with any amendments to it and any data on student participation.
13. Be monitored by the Board pursuant to Board policy 2:240, Board Policy Development, and included as a topic for discussion in the annual report required by Board policy 6:10, Educational Philosophy and Objectives. It shall include a discussion of the process for renewal of the program when applicable.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-29.
23 Ill.Admin.Code §226.360.
CROSS REF.: 2:20 (Powers and Duties of the School Board; Indemnification), 2:240 (Board Policy Development), 5:190 (Teacher Qualifications), 6:10 (Educational Philosophy and Objectives), 6:15 (School Accountability), 6:20 (School Year Calendar and Day), 6:30 (Organization of Instruction), 6:300 (Graduation Requirements), 6:340 (Student Testing and Assessment Program), 7:30 (Student Assignment and Intra-District Transfer), 7:60 (Residence), 7:340 (Student Records)
ADOPTED: September 13, 2021