5:260 PROFESSIONAL PERSONNEL - Student Teachers
The Superintendent or designee is authorized to accept students from university-approved teacher-training programs to do student teaching in District. No individual who has been convicted of a criminal offense that would subject him or her to license suspension or revocation pursuant to Section 5/21B-80 of the School Code or who has been found to be the perpetrator of sexual or physical abuse of a minor under 18 years of age pursuant to proceedings under Article II of the Juvenile Court Act of 1987 is permitted to student teach.
Before permitting an individual to student teach or begin a required internship in the District, the Superintendent or designee shall ensure that:
1. The District performed a 105 ILCS 5/10-21.9(g) Check as described below; and
2. The individual furnished evidence of physical fitness to perform assigned duties and freedom from communicable disease pursuant to 105 ILCS 5/24-5.
A 105 ILCS 5/21.9(g) Check shall include:
1. Fingerprint-based checks to be performed at the District Office through (a) the Illinois State Police (ISP) for criminal history records information (CHRI) pursuant to the Uniform Conviction Information Act (20 ILCS 2635/1, and (b) the FBI national crime information databases pursuant to the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act (P.L. 109-248);
2. A check of the Illinois Sex Offender Registry (see the Sex Offender Community Notification Law (730 ILCS 152/101 et seq.); and
3. A check of the Illinois Murderer and Violent Offender against Youth Registry (Murderer and Violent Offender against Youth Registration Act(730 ILCS 154/75-105).
The School Code requires each individual student teaching or beginning a required internship to provide the District with written authorization for, and pay the costs of, his or her 105 ILCS 5/21.9(g) check (including any applicable vendor’s fees), Upon receipt of this authorization and payment, the Superintendent or designee will submit the student teacher’s name, sex, race, date of birth, social security number, fingerprint images, and other identifiers, as prescribed by the Ill. State Police (ISP), to the ISP. Superintendent or designee will provide each student teacher with a copy of his or her report.
The Superintendent or designee shall be responsible for coordinating placements of all student teachers within the District. Student teachers will be assigned to supervising teachers who are tenured, or are 4th year non-tenured teachers and whose qualifications are acceptable to the student's college or university.
LEGAL REF.: 34 U.S.C. §20901 et seq., Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, P.L. 109-248.
20 ILCS 2635/1, Uniform Conviction Information Act.
105 ILCS 5/10-21.9, 5/10-22.34, and 5/24.5
CROSS REF.: 4:175 (Convicted Child Sex Offender; Screening: Notifications) 5:190 (Teacher Qualifications)
ADOPTED: November 22, 2004
REVISED: March 26, 2012
November 24, 2014
January 23, 2017
June 12, 2023